One of the largest tunnel refurbishment programmes in the world including a fixed firefighting system is currently on-going in Singapore.
The Kallang-Paya Lebar & Central Expressway twin-tube tunnels (cut & cover) opened in 2008. In 2018 Land Transport Authorities (LTA) initiated a tender for refurbishing the tunnels including installation of a fixed firefighting system. In 2018, it was decided that the TUNPROTEC low pressure water mist system should be installed during the refurbishment.
About the tunnel:
- Type: Road Tunnel "Cut & Cover"
- Extent and Length: The project includes more than 1200 deluge valves, 300,00 low pressure water mist nozzle and 100 kilometres of prefabricated nozzle pipes
- Width: Varies between 12 m - 30 m
- Installation Year: 2019-21
- Height: 5.9 m
The Land Transport Authorities (LTA) thought that a low pressure water mist system offered several advantages:
- significantly less consumption of water than conventional sprinkler systems
- significantly smaller water reservoir and drainage system
- significantly less spatial requirements for pipes and valves